Tara Mines closure is ‘like a bereavement’
"Like a bereavement" is how workers at Tara Mines described their feelings on Thursday and Friday as work finished up at the mine.
Europe's biggest lead and zinc mine is currently in care and maintenance mode as its 650 strong workforce have now been laid off indefinitely.
Unions will meet with management at the mine next week as workers look ahead to 12th October when a review of the current situation will take place.
SIPTU sector organiser, John Regan said there was an atmosphere of devastation as workers left the mine on Thursday and Friday.
"Production finished on Thursday, but there were some staff working on Friday. They are all devastated. People don't know how they are going to survive on €220 a week in comparison to what they had. The thoughts of getting up out of bed with no work to go to is on everyone's mind," he said.
“The layoffs at Tara Mines have had a devastating effect on the workers, their families and the local economy."
One of those who finished up his shift on Friday said it was like a bereavement. "We are like a family here. We don't know when the mine will open again. It is a big shock to the system. We have lads in their mid 50's who know nothing only mining. How do they take up other jobs like in construction."
He thanked all the local businesses who have supported the miners.
"When we were protesting outside the mine, they came up to us with refreshments," he said.
Meanwhile, SIPTU Divisional Organiser, Adrian Kane, has welcomed a commitment by the Minister for Social Protection, Heather Humphreys, to provide increased payments to workers who lose their jobs and to link them to previous earnings, but said the proposals needed to be brought forward.
Under the proposed new system of pay-related benefits, workers who lose their jobs will receive 60per cent of their income from the State, up to a maximum of €450 each week. The Minister said she will have the new system of staggered rates of payment in place next year.
Adrian Kane said: “SIPTU representatives have been engaging with the Minister’s office in recent weeks, seeking practical ways by which workers in Tara Mines could be assisted by the Department of Social Protection. While this commitment on increased and pay-related benefits is welcome, the timeframe will need to be brought forward.”
John Regan said: “The Government was able to bring in pandemic unemployment and other payments almost overnight during Covid-19 and there is no reason why a temporary scheme could not now be put into immediate effect while the detail of a more comprehensive one is worked out.
"The Government needs to urgently move emergency legislation on these proposals as waiting for next year is not good enough.”
Workers at Tara Mines had voted last week to accept the deal negotiated between the unions and management, regarding the temporary closure of the mine.
Under the terms of the deal, a payment of €65 a week will be made to the workers during the lay off and health insurance premiums will be paid. An early retirement package is also been offered.
The result of the ballot, which was announced last Thursday, was in the region of 60/40 in favour of the deal, with members of SIPTU, Unite and Connect Trade Unions all voting to accept the deal brokered at the Workplace Relations Commission.
Meanwhile, the unions made a presentation to 25 TDs and senators, on the situation on Wednesday of last week.
A colourful protest also took place outside Leinster House as miners, in full work-gear, and their supporters high-lighted the plight of the 650 strong workforce at Tara Mines.
The unions made a submission on eight points around social welfare, drilling licenses, royalties, and actions which could help get the mine back in production.
These included access to the EU Just Transition Fund, pointing out that Tara is the only mine in operation in the country, this wouldn't set a precedent.
They looked for additional financial supports, access to IDA grants and the setting up of a Task Force with unions, management and the government to ensure Tara Deep is part of production as early as possible.
In a statement issued last week Boliden Tara Mines said the measures agreed with the union for Care and Maintenance measures include a support package for employees during the period of care and maintenance, the care maintenance plan and a review process.
"The decision to enter care and maintenance has been taken to safeguard the long-term future of the mine. The management team will remain in dialogue with employees and stakeholders throughout this period.”